Heck’s Transfer is the oldest locally owned moving company in Cedar Rapids. Arnold Heck started Heck’s Transfer in 1962. He and his wife Edna were integral in the running of the family owned business for more than 50 years.
In early 2014, Arnie passed away and by November 2014, wife Edna and son Winston decided it was the right time to sell the business. Get Organized formally acquired ownership of the assets on February 24, 2015.
The purchase of Heck’s has been the perfect complement to Get Organized. Having our own trucks and control over the scheduling allows us to better meet the needs of our moving clients. Since Get Organized takes a much different approach when working with moving clients, we anticipate the timing and needs of our clients before they even know it. With our own trucks and schedule, we don’t have to worry about not having a truck available on the day our clients need it. We know moving dates can be very fluid and often changing, but with Get Organized’s move management involvement, we can block out several ‘hold’ dates on the calendar and work closely with the client’s to narrow down the final move date as time progresses.
We offer the the same traditional services of a typical locally owned moving company but we also offer an entire array of ala carte additional services too.
– Loading, transporting and unloading items
– Loading or unloading client’s vehicle or leased vehicle
– Moving furniture within current home for painting, new flooring, or carpet cleaning needs
– Pickup or delivery of furniture, appliances or other items
– Moving supplies (boxes, packing paper, packing tape)
Because Heck’s is now a part of the Get Organized family of companies, additional specialized services unique to the traditional moving company industry are offered:
– Free use or rental of moving boxes
– Floor/Space planning of furniture in new home
– Packing, unpacking and putting items away in an organized fashion
– One-on-one downsizing assistance with a professional organizer
– Dispersal of items not wanted by client or family via donation, consignment, recycling, and/or trash (entire Estates can be handled)
– Prepare furniture items so they are travel worthy
– Wrap and hand-move fragile items (such as lamps, lampshades, artwork, music instruments, etc)
– Supervision of movers by a professional move manager/organizer
– Strip and remake beds
– Pack, move and unpack refrigerator and/or freezer
– Hand wash and pack last minute dirty dishes
– Pack last minute bathroom/shower items
– Hand-move chemicals and other items not allowed on large moving trucks
– Furniture placement on move day (per space plan)
– Hanging pictures and artwork at new home
– Unhook and rehook TV(s) and/or computer and/or phones
– Confirm phone, TV and computer are working upon arrival at new home
– Unpack and put away every box/item we packed by end of move day or the following day
– Haul boxes and trash away
– Clean old home (can be done on move day if needed)
– Haul away trash from old home
– Ship and/or deliver items to family or friends
Heck’s has one of the lowest hourly rates in the Eastern Iowa Corridor. Estimates are always free. Unlike other moving companies in the area, we do no cost on-site estimates. While others often do estimates just over the phone, we feel taking the extra time to visually see the moving project allows us to be more accurate in our estimates.
We have reduced hourly rates for veterans, students, Sr Citizens 60yrs old and repeat customers. You can email email@example.com and request copies of our current discounted and regular rates. When our clients know our hourly rates, this allows for comparing apples to apples between competing estimates.
For pickup and delivery of individual or smaller numbered items that fit in our pickup truck or mini-van, there are special less expensive hourly rates. We are happy to recommend these less expensive hourly rates whenever possible.
In the local moving industry, estimates are quite common. Estimates obviously help a client to anticipate the cost of their move. They are also integral for moving companies too. By doing thorough on-site estimates, we are able to determine not only the number of movers needed but also the number of trucks needed to be most efficient. The more efficient we are, the less time it takes and the less money it costs our clients.
What You Must Know About Estimates
ESTIMATE vs. BID vs. QUOTE: Is there a difference? Absolutely.
Estimate: an estimate is basically guessing on an anticipated cost. The guessing should be supported by the current known variables, past experience and education.
Estimate means, with some assumptions and unspecified things, this is approximately the price. An estimate is also often referred to as a “ballpark number.”
Quote or Bid: means this is exactly what the price will be for the work clearly defined by a potential customer.
SHOULD I EXPECT AN “ESTIMATED” AMOUNT TO BE WHAT I WILL ACTUALLY PAY? Absolutely not.
Unless guaranteed with a bid or quote along with the estimate, all estimates are non-binding.
In the local moving industry, you will pay what the actual charges are at the end of the move regardless of what the estimate may have been.
DOES CHOOSING A LOW ESTIMATE MEAN THE MOVING JOB WILL END UP COSTING ME LESS THAN HIGHER ESTIMATES I MAY HAVE BEEN GIVEN? Absolutely not.
Unfortunately, there are companies in the moving industry that estimate low just so they get the job.
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO COMPARE TWO MOVING ESTIMATES?
1) Recognize the actual estimate numbers given are not the most important factor.
2) Did the moving companies do on-site visual inspections of your home?
At Heck’s Transfer, our policy is to do visual inspections for all homes 1000 square foot or larger and upon any request by the customer no matter the size of the job.
3) How much time did the moving companies spend on site at the visual inspection?
4) Did the moving companies take photos and/or measurements?
5) Did one moving company seem to ask for more details?
6) Did one seem to care more about your move?
7) Did the moving companies offer free tips and advice on how to reduce the overall cost of the move?
8) What are the hourly rates of each company?
9) Did one company seem to be more credible and personable than the other?
10) Remember the actual estimate numbers given are not the most important factor. They are just one factor to be weighed against many others. Estimated numbers alone do not take into consideration the quality and service you will ultimately receive.
HECK’S TRANSFER WILL NEVER EVER ESTIMATE LOW JUST TO GET A JOB. We feel that is nothing but deceitful to the client.
We pride ourselves in giving fair estimates to the best of our abilities. We prefer our clients to be pleasantly pleased rather than horribly shocked with the final actual bill.